Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Believe












So then they said to him, “What must we do to accomplish the deeds God requires?” Jesus replied, “This is the deed God requires – to believe in the one whom he sent.” John 28-29

So many time I have prayed, "Father, What do you want me to do?  If you will just show me what to do, I will gladly do it".

I was a doer.  All anyone had to do was show me what needed to be done, and I did it.  And I did my best to do it right.  But what frustrated me and confused me was when I did something right and it still did not work.  I had not yet learned that unless the Lord builds the house, "they labor in vain who build it" (Psalm 127:1).

The people in John 6:28 wanted to know what they needed to do to please God.  They wanted to know what to do in order to work the works of God.  What was Jesus' answer to these people?  "This is the work that God asks of you: that you believe in the One whom He has sent".

When this passage was first revealed to me, I thought I would learn what to do.  And in a sense, I do.

He told me, "Believe".

No comments: