Saturday, August 7, 2010

Come And Listen

By Marybeth Whalen

"Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me." Psalm 66:16 (NIV)
Devotion:
Kids are fighting, complaining, whining.
To-do list is calling.
Emails are begging to be responded to.
Packing for a trip needs to be done.
Instead I sit with my journal and my Bible and drink Him in. I land in Psalm 66. What do you have for me today, Father?
Psalm 66:5, "Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf." (NIV)
Psalm 66:16, "Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me." (NIV)
I begin to list the things in my journal, taking time to write out what He has done. My joy swells. The noise diminishes. My life is good, rich, full. He has brought me out to a place of abundance (Psalm 66:12, NIV).
I need this reminder, to come and see what God has done; to take notes on His goodness to me. I am so forgetful. I want to remember more than I forget. To record what He has done before I move on and leave the past in the past, as I am apt to do. Before I extend my hand, saying like a petulant child, "What have You done for me lately?" It is good to stop and remember instead of rushing into my list of needs.
This day, I will notice the abundance instead of the lack. I will see the fullness instead of the decrease. I will run my fingers across words that mark His goodness to me and whisper the most important prayer I can offer: "Thank You."
Dear Lord, let my mouth and my heart praise You. Help me to remember Your goodness, the awesome things You have done for me. I confess that I am forgetful but I don't want to be. Help me see You at work and take the time to remember. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

~~Thanks to my Sister Vickie for sending this to me.~~

No comments: